Public Health and Primary Care
Our public health and primary care research team seeks to better prevent and manage important population health problems. Projects address a broad range of conditions including cardiovascular disease, type-2 diabetes, cancer, multiple sclerosis and mental health. Several projects are investigating how lifestyle factors (e.g. smoking, physical activity, diet, alcohol consumption and sun exposure), and obesity in childhood and early adulthood affect the risk of developing disease later in life. Disciplines that underpin research in the public health area includes epidemiology, behavioural science, biostatistics and health economics.
Established partnerships and service agreements with the Tasmanian State Government and management of the Tasmanian Cancer Registry and Tasmanian Data Linkage Unit ensure a focus on applied research.
- Cancer Epidemiology: Venn Group
- Cardiovascular Epidemiology: Venn Group
- Economics: Palmer Group
- Environmental Health Group
- Epidemiology of Diabetes: Venn Group
- International Health: Blizzard Group
- Multiple Sclerosis: Taylor & van der Mei Group
- Musculoskeletal Conditions and Cardiovascular Disease: Winzenberg Group
- Population Health: Blizzard Group
- Population Health: Venn Group
- Psychiatric Epidemiology & Public Health: Sanderson Group
- Statistics: Blizzard Group
- Tasmanian Cancer Registry: Venn Group