Primary Health Care & Cardiovascular Disease: Nelson Group
Primary healthcare is first contact healthcare delivered in the community. We research, in the main in general practice, conditions that are encountered and managed in this environment. Hence we entail and collaborate with general practitioners, practice nurses, community nurses, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, sociologists, and others.
- A qualitative study to explore implementation of hypertension (HT) management guidelines into general practice.
- ASPREE: A double-blind randomised controlled trial of low dose aspirin for healthy ageing
- ASPREE: Healthy Ageing Biobank
- Barriers to initiating treatment in hypertension & treating to target levels
- National Centre of Research Excellence to improve management of peripheral arterial disease
- Shared team approach between nurses and doctors for improved risk factor management
Related Funding Bodies
- National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia
- National Heart Foundation of Australia
- Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
- Department of Health and Ageing
- National Institutes of Health, USA
- Tasmanian Community Fund
- Professor Mark Nelson (Professorial Research Fellow)
- Professor Tania Winzenberg (Research Fellow)
- Dr Emily Hansen (Research Fellow)
- Becky Judd (Research Nurse)
- Sharon Kelly (Research Nurse)
- Sue McCoy (Research Nurse)
- Jan Nelson (Research Nurse)
- Dr Julia Walters (Postdoctoral Fellow)
- Dr Emma Warnecke (Lecturer)
- Dr Luke Bereznicki
- Dr Shane Jackson
- Professor Graeme Jones (Professorial Research Fellow)
- Professor Greg Peterson
- Dr Jenn Scott
- Associate Professor Paul Turner (Honorary Member)
- Professor Haydn Walters (Professorial Fellow)
- Clinical Professor Richard Wood-Baker (Honorary Fellow)
- Dr Beata Bajorek
- Professor Lawrence Beilin, University of Western Australia
- Professor Robert Carter, La Trobe University
- Dr Nick Cooling, General Practice Training Tasmania
- Associate Professor Maximillian DeCourten, Monash University
- Luigi Gaetani
- Dr Peter Gibbs, University of Melbourne
- Professor Bruce Hollingsworth, Monash University
- Henry Krum, Monash University
- Professor Andrew McLachlan, University of Sydney
- John McNeil, Monash University
- Dr Frank Meumann, General Practice Training Tasmania
- Associate Professor Gary Misan, University of South Australia
- Dr Judy Mullan
- Professor Anne Newman
- Professor Brian Oldenburg, Monash University
- Dr Anna Peeters, Monash University
- Associate Professor Chris Reid, Monash University
- Associate Professor Philip Ryan, University of Adelaide
- Professor Raj Shah
- Dr Andrew Tonkin, Monash University
- Professor Jeff Williamson
- Professor Lindon Wing, Flinders University, South Australia
- *Nelson MR, *Reid CM, *Ames DJ, *Beilin LJ, *Donnan GA, *Johnston CI, et al on behalf of the ASPREE Investigators Group. Feasibility of conducting a primary prevention trial of low-dose aspirin for major adverse events in the elderly in Australia. ASPirin in Reducing Events in the Elderly (ASPREE). MJA 2008; 189: 105-109.
- *Nelson MR, Reid CM, Ryan P, Willson K, Yelland L, on behalf of the Management Committee, Second Australian National Blood Pressure Study (ANBP2). Self-reported adherence with medication and cardiovascular disease outcomes in the Second Australian National Blood Pressure Study (ANBP2). MJA 2006; 185(9): 487-489.
- *Nelson MR, Liew D, Bertram M, Vos T. Epidemiological modelling of routine use of low-dose aspirin in Australia for the primary prevention of coronary heart disease and stroke in those aged 70 years and above. BMJ 2005; 330:1306-1308.
- *Nelson MR, *Quinn S, *Bowers-Ingram L, *Nelson JM, *Winzenberg T. Cluster randomised controlled trial of oscillometric versus manual sphygmomanometer for blood pressure management in primary care (CRAB). Am J of Hyperten. 2009 in press.
- *Walters JA, *Walters EH, *Turner P, *Robinson A, Scott J, Nelson M, *Wood-Baker R. Patients misclassified with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) have significant morbidity. Respirology. 2009;14:A52.
- Woods R, Tonkin AM, *Nelson MR, Britt HC, Reid CM. Should aspirin be used for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in people with diabetes? Med J of Aust. 2009; 190 (11): 614-15.
- Hankey GJ, *Nelson MR. Easily missed? Subarachnoid haemorrhage. BMJ 2009;339:569-70.
- Bowers-Ingram L, *Nelson MR. A survey of General Practice nurses' communication preferences. Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing 2009;27(1):59-65.
- Ademi Z, Liew D, Chew D, Conner G, Shiel L, *Nelson M, Soman A, Reid C. The costs of medicines used by Australian patients with or at risk of atherothrombosis - data from the Reduction of Atherothrombosis for Continued Health (REACH) registry. Cardiovascular Therapeutics 2009: 27; 164-172.
- *Nelson MR, Alkhateeb AN, Ryan P, Willson K, Gartlan JG, Reid CM. Physical activity, alcohol and tobacco use and associated cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in the Second Australian National Blood Pressure study cohort. Age and Ageing 2010 39(1);112-116.
- Imms A, *Quinn S, *Nelson M. General practitioners' use of absolute cardiovascular disease risk calculators. Australian Family Physician 2010 39(12) 57-60.
- Geoffrey A, Head GA, Mihailidou AS, Duggan KA, Beilin LJ,Berry N, Brown MA, Bune AJ, Cowley D, Chalmers JP, Howe PRC, Hodgson J, Ludbrook J, Mangoni AA, McGrath BP, *Nelson MR, *Sharman JE, Stowasser M, for the Ambulatory Blood Pressure Working Group of the High Blood Pressure Research Council of Australia. Relationship between Ambulatory and Clinic Blood Pressure: Defining Diagnostic Points and Treatment Targets. BMJ 2010;340:c1104
- *Nelson MR, Ryan, P, Ramsay E, Willson K, Tonkin AM, Wing LMH, Reid CM. Prediction of cardiovascular events in subjects in the second Australian National Blood Pressure study. Hypertension. 2010 July DOI: 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.109.148007
* Denotes Menzies Researcher