Population Health: Venn Group
Research in Population Health uses a range of population approaches to improve understanding of the causes and prevention of chronic diseases. Projects address a broad range of conditions including cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, cancer and depression. Several projects are investigating how lifestyle factors (eg. smoking, physical activity, diet, alcohol consumption, sun exposure), obesity and hormones in childhood and early adulthood affect the risk of developing disease later in life, while others have a focus on the possible genetic causes of disease.
- INVEST: investigating obesity surgery in Tasmania
- Cancer Survival in Tasmania
- Childhood Determinants of Adult Health (CDAH) Study
- International Childhood Cardiovascular Cohort (i3C) Consortium
- Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer in Tasmania
- Sun Exposure & Melanoma Survival
- TWINK Study: Tasmanian Women Iodine Knowledge Study
Related Funding Bodies
- National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia
- Tasmanian Community Fund
- National Cancer Institute (USA)
- Department of Health and Human Services Tasmania
- Professor Alison Venn
- Associate Professor Kristy Sanderson (Member)
- Dr Seana Gall (Research Fellow)
- Mr Petr Otahal (Biostatistician/Genetic Statistician)
- Julie Bunyard (Project Officer)
- Krystyna Jackman (Administrative Officer)
- Pam Whelan (Administrative Assistant)
- Beverley Curry (PhD Student)
- Kim Jose (PhD Student)
- Dr Costan Magnussen (PhD Student)
- Dr Charlotte McKercher (PhD Student)
- Dr Kylie Smith (PhD Student)
- Mel Sharman (PhD Student)
- Associate Professor Leigh Blizzard (Principal Research Fellow)
- Professor Graeme Jones (Professorial Research Fellow)
- Professor Gerald Berenson
- Dr Verity Cleland
- Professor Terry Dwyer, Murdoch Children's Research Institute
- Dr Peter Flett, State-wide Paediatric Rehabilitation, TAS
- Associate Professor Dorota Gertig
- Professor John Hopper, University of Melbourne
- Professor Anne Kavanagh, University of Melbourne
- Dr Katya Kotschet, St Vincent's Hospital, Victoria
- Dr Danuta Loesch-Mdzewska, La Trobe University
- Dr Sarah McNaughton, Deakin University
- Leah Newman
- Professor George Patton, Murdoch Children's Research Institute, University of Melbourne and Royal Children's Hospital
- Professor Olli Raitakari, University of Turku
- Dr Justin Rubio, GlaxoSmithKline, UK
- Dr Robyn Tapp, Monash University
- Dwyer T, Ponsonby AL, Ukoumunne O, Pezic A, *Venn A, Shaw J, Dunstan D, Barr E, Blair S, *Cochrane J, Zimmet P. Change in physical activity over five years measured by pedometers and subsequent obesity and insulin sensitivity: the AusDiab study. British Medical Journal BMJ. 2011 Jan 13 [Epub ahead of print]
- Loesch DZ, Godler DE, Evans A, Bui QM, Gehling F, Kotschet KE, Trost N, Storey E, Stimpson P, Kinsella G, Francis D, Thorburn DR, *Venn A, Slater HR, Horne M. Evidence for the toxicity of bidirectional transcripts and mitochondrial dysfunction in blood associated with small CGG expansions in the FMR1 gene in patients with parkinsonism. Genet Med 2011; Jan 25. [Epub ahead of print]
- *Magnussen CG, *Thomson R, *Cleland VJ, Ukoumunne OC, Dwyer T, *Venn A. Factors affecting the stability of blood lipid and lipoprotein levels from youth to adulthood: Evidence from the Childhood Determinants of Adult Health (CDAH) study. Archives in Paediatric & Adolescent Medicine 2011; 165: 68-76
- Juonala M, *Magnussen CG, *Venn A, Dwyer T, Burns TL, Davis PH, Chen W, Srinivasan SR, Daniels SR, Kahonen M, Laitinen T, Taittonen L, Berenson GS, Viikari JSA, Raitakari OT. The effect of age on associations between childhood risk factors and carotid intima-media thickness in adulthood. Data from the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study, the Childhood Determinants of Adult Health study, the Bogalusa Heart Study and the Muscatine Study. Circulation 2010 Nov 29 (Epub ahead of print]
- *Wei S, *Jones G, *Thomson R, *Otahal P, Dwyer T, *Venn A. Menstrual irregularity and bone mass in premenopausal women: Cross-sectional associations with testosterone and SHBG. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 2010; 11: 288
- *Smith KS, *Gall SL, McNaughton SA, *Blizzard L, Dwyer T, *Venn AJ. Skipping breakfast: longitudinal associations with cardio-metabolic risk factors in the Childhood Determinants of Adult Health (CDAH) study. Am J Clin Nutr 2010; 92:1316-25
- *Schmidt M, Dwyer T, *Magnussen CG, *Venn AJ. Alternative measures of childhood adiposity and adult cardio-metabolic health: Findings from the Childhood Determinants of Adult Health study. Int J Obesity 2010 Sept 28 [advance online]
- *Smith K, McNaughton S, *Gall S, *Blizzard L, Dwyer T, *Venn A. Involvement of young Australian adults in meal preparation: cross-sectional associations with socio-demographic factors and diet quality. J Am Dietetic Assoc 2010; 110: 1363-7
- *Pearson S, Schmidt M, Patton G, Dwyer T, *Otahal P, *Venn A. Depression and insulin resistance: cross-sectional associations in young adults. Diabetes Care 2010; 33:1128-33
- Meszaros D, Dharmage S, Matheson M, *Venn A, Wharton C, Johns D, Giles G, Hopper J, Abramson M, Walters E. Poor lung function and tonsillectomy in childhood are associated with mortality from age 7 to 44. Respiratory Medicine 2010 104: 808-15
- *Wei S, *Jones G, *Thomson R, Dwyer T, *Venn A. Oral contraceptive use and bone mass in premenopausal women. Osteoporosis International 2011 22(1):351-355
- *Gall SL, Abbott-Chapman J, Patton GC, Dwyer, *Venn A. Intergenerational educational mobility is associated with cardiovascular disease risk behaviours in a cohort of young Australian adults: The Childhood Determinants of Adult Health (CDAH) Study. BMC Public Health 2010; 10: 55
- *Jordan HL, Hopper JL, *Thomson RJ, Kavanagh AM, Gertig DM, Stone J, *Venn AJ. Influence of high-dose estrogen exposure during adolescence on mammographic density for age in adulthood. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention 2010; 19: 121-9
- *Dalton M, *Venn A, *Albion T, *Otahal P, *Wills K, *Blizzard L. Cancer in Tasmania 2007. Menzies Research Institute, Hobart 2010.
- Loesch DZ, Khaniani MS, Slater HR, Horne M, Bui MQ, Kotschet K, D�Souza W, *Venn A, Kalitsis P, Choo AKH, Burgess T, Johnson L, Evans A, Rubio JP. Small CGG repeat expansion alleles of FMR1 gene are associated with Parkinsonism. Clinical Genetics 2009; 76: 471-6
- *Gall S, Jamrozik K, *Blizzard L, Dwyer T, *Venn A. Healthy lifestyles and cardiovascular risk profiles in young Australian adults: The Childhood Determinants of Adult Health (CDAH) Study. Eur J Cardiovascular Prevention & Rehabilitation 2009; 16: 684-9
- *Cleland VJ, Ball K, *Magnussen CG, *Dwyer T, *Venn A. Socioeconomic position and the tracking of physical activity and cardiorespiratory fitness from childhood to adulthood. American Journal of Epidemiology, 2009;170(9):1069-1077.
- *Schmidt M, *Cleland V, Shaw K, Dwyer T, *Venn A. Cardio-metabolic risk in younger and older adults across an index of ambulatory activity. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2009;37:278-284
- *Smith KJ, McNaughton SA, *Gall SL, *Blizzard L, *Dwyer T, *Venn AJ. Takeaway food consumption and its associations with diet quality and abdominal obesity: a cross-sectional study of young adults. International Journal of Behavioural Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2009; 6:29.
- *Dwyer T, *Magnussen C, *Schmidt M, Ukoumunne O, *Ponsonby A-L, *Raitakari O, Zimmet P, Blair S, *Thomson R, *Cleland V, *Venn A. Decline in physical fitness from childhood to adulthood associated with increased obesity and insulin resistance in adults. Diabetes Care 2009; 32:683-687
- *Wei S, Schmidt MD, *Dwyer T, Norman RJ, *Venn AJ. Obesity and menstrual irregularity: associations with SHBG, testosterone and insulin. Obesity 2009; 17(5): 1070-6
- *Venn A, *Thomson R, Juonala M, Srinivasan SR, Viikari JSA, *Berenson GS, *Dwyer T, *Raitakari OT. The association of paediatric LDL-cholesterol and HDL-cholesterol dyslipidemia classifications and change in dyslipidemia status with carotid intima-media thickness in adulthood: Evidence from the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study, the Bogalusa Heart Study, and the Childhood Determinants of Adult Health (CDAH) Study. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2009; 53(10): 860-869
- *McKercher C, *Schmidt M, *Sanderson K, Patton G, Dwyer T, *Venn A. Physical activity and depression in young adults. Am J Prev Med 2009; 36: 161-164
- *Cleland V, *Schmidt M, *Dwyer T, *Venn A. Television viewing and abdominal obesity in young adults: is the association mediated by food and beverage consumption during viewing time or reduced leisure time physical activity? American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2008; 87:1148-55.
- *Cleland V, Dwyer T, *Venn A. Physical activity and healthy weight maintenance from childhood to adulthood: a prospective cohort study. Obesity 2008; 16; 1427-33
- *Paul S, *Blizzard L, Patton G, Dwyer T, *Venn A. Parental smoking and smoking experimentation in childhood increase the risk of being a smoker 20 years later: the Childhood Determinants of Adult Health Study. Addiction 2008; 103:846-53
- *Schmidt MD, *Cleland VJ, *Thomson R, Dwyer T, *Venn A. A comparison of subjective and objective measures of physical activity and fitness in identifying associations with cardio-metabolic risk factors. Annals of Epidemiology 2008; 18:378-86.
- *Foley S, *Quinn S, Dwyer T, *Venn A, *Jones G. Measures of childhood fitness and body composition are associated with Calcaneal quantitative ultrasound in adulthood: A 20 year prospective study. JBMR 2008 23:994-1001.
- *Cleland V, Dwyer T, *Blizzard L, *Venn A. The provision of two hours of weekly physical activity in Australian schools: associations with physical activity, fitness and overweight in childhood and twenty years later. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition & Physical Activity 2008, 5:14.
- *Magnussen CG, *Raitakari OT, *Thomson R, Juonala M, Patel DA, Viikari JSA, Marniemi J, Srinivasan SR, *Berenson GS, *Dwyer T, *Venn A. Utility of Currently Recommended Paediatric Dyslipidemia Classifications in Predicting Dyslipidemia in Adulthood: Evidence from the Childhood Determinants of Adult Health (CDAH) Study, Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study, and Bogalusa Heart Study. Circulation. 2008 Jan 1;117(1):32-42.
- *Venn AJ, *Thomson RJ, *Schmidt MD, *Cleland VJ, *Curry B, Gennat HC, *Dwyer T. Overweight and obesity from childhood to adulthood: a follow-up of participants in the 1985 Australian Schools Health and Fitness Survey. MJA. 2007; 187 (5), 458-460.
- Huang Y, Halliday G, Vandebona H, Mellick G, Mastaglia F, Stevens J, Kwok J, Garlepp M, Silburn P, Horne M, Kotschet K, *Venn A, Rowe D, Rubio J, Sue C. The prevalence of common LRRK2 mutations in Australians with Parkinson's disease. Movement Disorders 2007; 15: 982-9
- *Jordan H, Bruinsma F, *Thomson R, Amir L, Werther G, *Venn A. Adolescent exposure to high-dose estrogens and subsequent effects on lactation. Reproductive Toxicology 2007; 24: 387-402.
- Begg CB, Hummer AJ, Mujumdar U, Armstrong BK, Kricker A, Marrett LD, Millikan RC, Gruber SB, Culver HA, Zanetti R, Gallagher RP, *Dwyer T, Rebbeck TR, Busam K, From L, Berwick M, GEM Study Group. A design for cancer case-control studies using only incident cases: experience with the GEM study of melanoma. Int J Epidemiol 2006; 35: 756-64.
- Salmon J, Timperio A, *Cleland V, *Venn A. Trends in children's physical activity and weight status in high and low socioeconomic status areas of Melbourne, Victoria: 1985-2001. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Public Health 2005; 29: 337-42.
- *Cleland V, *Venn A, *Fryer J, Dwyer T, *Blizzard L. Parental recreational physical activity is associated with Australian children's extracurricular sports participation and cardiorespiratory fitness. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition & Physical Activity 2005; 2: pp9.
- *Venn A, Bruinsma F, Werther G, Pyett P, Baird D, Jones P, Rayner J, Lumley J. The use of oestrogen treatment to reduce the adult height of tall girls: long-term effects on fertility. Lancet 2004; 364: 1513-18.
* Denotes Menzies Researcher