Musculoskeletal: Jones & Ding Group
Research in the Musculoskeletal Group is aimed at utilising Tasmania's unique population characteristics to investigate musculoskeletal epidemiology, with a particular emphasis on fractures, osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. Clinical trials are also a key feature of this group.
We are currently focusing on the use of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) as an assessment technique to determine environmental factors (such as physical activity from childhood to adults) and genetic factors on knee structural changes in osteoarthritis. We are also interested in exploring the roles of inflammatory cytokines and obesity-related hormones (eg. Leptin) in osteoarthritis and osteoporosis.
- HUMira for active hand OsteoaRthritis (HUMOR trial)
- Modic trial: Do osteoporosis therapies work for back pain?
- Osteoarthritis of the Knee Statin (OAKS) Study
- Tasmanian Older Adult Cohort (TASOAC) Study
- TBone Study: 25 Year Follow-up
- The Vitamin D Effect on Osteoarthritis (VIDEO) Study: a randomised controlled trial
- ZAP 2 trial - A randomised trial of zoledronic acid for osteoarthritis of the knee
- COAST-1: Clinical Knee Osteoarthritis Symptom Treatment 1 Study
- A randomised trial of krill oil for osteoarthritis of the knee (KAROAKE)
Related Funding Bodies
- Brain Foundation
- Clive & Vera Ramaciotti Foundation
- National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia
- Arthritis Australia
- University of Tasmania - Rising Star Program
- Professor Graeme Jones (Professorial Research Fellow)
- Professor Changhai Ding (Senior Research Fellow)
- Professor Tania Winzenberg (Research Fellow)
- Associate Professor Leigh Blizzard (Senior Biostatistician)
- Bronwyn Archer (Radiographer)
- Catrina Boon (Study Coordinator/Research Officer)
- Joan Clough (Data Entry)
- Dr Dawn Aitken (PhD Student)
- Margie Green (Research Officer)
- Dr Laura Laslett (PhD Student)
- Dr Fiona Scott (Honorary Research Fellow)
- Robert Warren (MRI Reader)
- Dr Kathryn Squibb (Junior Research Fellow)
- Professor Alison Venn
- Professor John Burgess
- Professor Matthew Brown
- University of Queensland
- Professor Flavia Cicuttini
- Monash University
- Professor Terry Dwyer
- Murdoch Children's Research Institute
- Associate Professor Catherine Hill
- Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Adelaide
- Associate Professor Lyn March
- Sydney University
- Dr Susanna Proudman
- *Ding C. Belimumab, an anti-BLyS human monoclonal antibody for potential treatment of inflammatory autoimmune diseases. Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy (invited) 2008 Nov;8(11):1805-14. IF 2.8.
- *Dore D, *Ding C, *Jones G. A pilot study of the reproducibility and validity of measuring knee subchondral bone density in the tibia. Osteoarthritis & Cartilage 2008;16(12): 1539-44 IF 3.79.
- Davies-Tuck M, Wluka A, Teichtahl A, *Martel-Pelletier J, *Jones G, *Ding C, Davis S, *Cicuttini F. Association between Meniscal Tears and the Peak External Knee Adduction Moment and Foot Rotation During Level Walking in Postmenopausal Women without Knee Osteoarthritis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2008; 10(3):R58. IF 4.04.
- *Ding C, *Parameswaran V, *Udayan R, *Burgess J, *Jones G. Circulating levels of inflammatory markers predict change in bone mineral density and resorption in older adults: a longitudinal study. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 2008; 93(5):1952-8
- *Ding C, *Parameswaran V, *Cicuttini F, *Burgess J, Zhai G, *Quinn S, *Jones G. Association between leptin, body composition, sex and knee cartilage morphology in older adults: the Tasmanian Older Adult Cohort (TASOAC) study. Annals of Rheumatic Diseases 2008; 67(9):1256-61 (IF: 9.1)
- Anandacoomarasamy A, Bagga H, *Ding C, Burkhard D, Sambrook P, *March L. Predictors of clinical response to intra-articular Hylan injections - a prospective study using synovial fluid parameters, clinical outcomes and magnetic resonance imaging. Journal of Rheumatology 2008; 35(4):685-90 IF 3.15.
- Davies-Tuck M, *Martel-Pelletier J, *Ding C, *Jones G, Davis S, *Cicuttini F. Meniscal Tear and Increased Tibial Plateau Area in Healthy Women. Osteoarthritis & Cartilage 2008, 16(2):268-71 IF 3.79.
- Janakiramanan N, Teichtahl A, Wluka A, *Ding C, *Jones G, Davis S, *Cicuttini F. Static knee alignment is associated with the risk of unicompartmental knee cartilage defects. J Orthop Res 2008; 26(2):225-30 IF 2.44.
- Kemp A, *Ponsonby A-L, *Dwyer T, *Cochrane J, Pezic A, Carmichael A, Carlin J, *Jones G. The interaction between early life upper respiratory tract infection and birth during the pollen season on atopic hayfever and ryegrass sensitisation - a birth cohort study. Pediatric Allergy and Immunology 2009; (in press).
- Teichtahl AJ, Davies-Tuck ML, Wluka AE, *Jones G, *Cicuttini FM. Change in knee angle influences the rate of medial tibial cartilage volume loss in knee osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2009; 17:8-11.
- Hitchens P, *Blizzard L, *Jones G, *Day L, *Fell J. The incidence of race day jockey falls in Australia during the 2002/03 to 2005/06 racing seasons. MJA 2009; 190:83-86.
- *Scott D, *Blizzard L, Fell J, *Jones G. Pedometer-determined ambulatory activity, body composition and leg strength in community-dwelling seniors aged 50-79 years. Med Sci Sports Exercise 2009; 41(2) 383-389
- *Foley S, *Quinn S, *Jones G. Tracking of bone mass from childhood to adolescence and factors that predict deviation from tracking. (accepted 8/11/08) BONE-D-08-00236R2.
- Iuliano-Burns S, Wang XF, Ayton J, *Jones G, Seeman E. Skeletal and Hormonal Responses to Sunlight Deprivation in Antarctic Expeditioners. Osteoporosis International 2009; (in press).
- *Ding C, *Cicuttini F, *Jones G. Do non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs affect longitudinal changes in knee cartilage volume and knee cartilage defects in older adults? American Journal of Medicine 2009; 122 (9): 836-842
- *Ding C, *Cicuttini F, *Parameswaran V, *Burgess J, *Quinn S, *Jones G. Serum levels of vitamin D, sunlight exposure and knee cartilage loss in older adults: the Tasmanian Older Adult Cohort (TASOAC) study. Arthritis and Rheumatism 2009; 60(5): 1381-9
- *Jones G, Sebba A, Gu J, Lowenstein M, Calvo A, Gomez-Reino J, Siri D, Tomšic M, Blackburn R, Woodworth T, Genovese M. Comparison of tocilizumab monotherapy versus methotrexate monotherapy in patients with moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 2009 (in press).
- Timpson NJ, Tobias JH, Richards JB, Soranzo N, Duncan EL, Sims AM, Whittaker P, Kumanduri V, Zhai G, Glaser B, Eisman J, *Jones G, Nicholson G, Prince R, Seeman E, Spector T, Brown MA, Peltonen L, Davey Smith G, Deloukas P, Evans DM. Common variants in the region around Osterix are associated with bone mineral density and growth in childhood. Human Molecular Genetics 2009; (revision submitted).
* Denotes Menzies Researcher